Monday, February 29, 2016

Photo Blog 2- Africa and my heart



          This painting has sentimental value close to my heart based on my experience of traveling to Africa when I was eleven years old on a mission trip. In direct correlation to the Cognitive Theory, which describes mental activities such as memories or expectations becoming an impact of perception of a piece, this piece triggers a batch of memories.  Because of the culture I not only saw, but was experiencing face to face, this painting, through memory brings me back to Uganda, Africa every time I see it. This painting is a complete reflection of what the African culture is, mothers holding their babies in a wrap, covered and close at all times no matter where they are and what they’re doing, no matter how long the journey is. For me, this painting isn’t just a reflection of what African culture might be, but what it IS. Being able to witness this lifestyle and see it first hand for three weeks, gives me such an appreciation and value for everything it represents and the accurate interpretation of a distant nation that most people know nothing about. As far as other factors affecting my perception of this painting as part of the Cognitive Theory, sometimes a flawed expectation of the subject of an image painted can bring the viewer to an understanding of a false idea of the painting. However, with this painting of an African mother and her child, the exact image I had in my head of what African people and its culture would look like once I got there, completely matched up with this painting. Various pieces of literature, as well as stories and blogs about Africa express the deep hurt and needs the people of this continent are going through, almost perceiving them as a sad culture. However, this painting expresses the love and diligence those who are a part of this life survive and take care of each other. An African mother holding her baby in a wrap and running all over the village doing a million things to provide her family looks exactly as this image is conveying that it does. I love this painting, and at one point I had a framed piece of it hanging in my old room, calling me back to Africa every glance I had of it. 

No comments:

Post a Comment